Wednesday, April 6, 2011

League Park

Perhaps a future post will discuss my favorite baseball parks.  One such park, League Park, ceases to exist.
League Park was the first home of the beloved Featherheads.  Located at the corner of Lexington and East 66th in Cleveland, League Park (also known as Dunn Park) has been torn down since the early 1960's.  I had the opportunity to play in League Park, to pitch on the very same mound that Cy Young pitched from when I played for Lutheran East in the early 1970's.  We played East Tech High School, as that was their home field.  I was in awe as I walked in the outfield, looking up in right field at the tall fence that was only 290 feet from home plate, and imaging Babe Ruth lofting a high homer onto the street below.  I wanted to go into the wreckage of what once was the dugout and clubhouse to see if I would catch a glimpse of history, but I was afraid of rats.  Seriously, my coach warned us not to stray too far from our bench, but just the thought of walking the hallowed grounds of Speaker, Cobb, Ruth, etc was like living a dream.
I can't remember HOW I pitched but I remember that I did get the opportunity to pitch, and for that I am thankful.
I share this with you to let you know that there is an effort to restore League Park.  Do yourself a favor and visit www.LeaguePark.org to catch a glimpse of history.  If you feel so inclined, sign the petition to restore the facility for others to see.
Perhaps that visit to League Park planted the seeds for my love of old ballparks.  I would have loved to have seen the old Polo Grounds, Sportsmans Park in St. Louis, and other old ball parks.  Maybe that is why I would like to travel to Pittsburgh to see their new park, as well as St. Louis to see the new Busch. At any rate, enjoy www.Leaguepark.org.  It is a step back in time, and helped me remember the time when a freshman pitcher for the Falcons toed the rubber at old League Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment