Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Memory Lane

Watching the Tribe attempt to play baseball and field a winning team this season is truely a trip down memory lane. When I was a boy.....

I have rooted for the Tribe since 1959 ( I was born in 56, so I figure that 59 would be my earliest memory). My favorite player was Rocky Colavito. I mimicked his mannerisms, from the way he stretched in the on deck circle by putting his bat behind his back, to the way he pointed the bat at the pitcher when he was in the batter's box. I was heartbroken when Trader Frank Lane traded the Rock to Detroit, and rejoiced when he returned to Cleveland later in his career.

I learned early on as an Indians fan that players come and go, and more often than not, good players leave and cheaper, more inexpensive players take their place. The replacements may not be better, but they have Indians across their chest and they become one of our own.

I learned that baseball season started in February when hopes were high and ended in June when the Indians were out of contention. Players would be traded to contenders and fans would then look forward to football season in late June.

Some things never change, do they? My kids are tired of hearing me say that these Indians are just like the Indians of my youth. And they are, from the way they play the game, to the trades that they make. Yes, as you can tell, I am presently underwhelmed by the Cliff Lee trade. As fans we can only hope for the best, because the present is so discouraging.

Yes, this 2009 season is just like a trip down memory lane. The only difference is that we are looking forward to a potential championship from the Cavs and not the Browns. The Indians potential challenge for a championship is now put off for a couple of years. For a Cy Young Award winner we get four minor league players, the centerpiece of the deal having not pitched in a while because of a tired shoulder.

I think I have watched this rerun before.

It seems that if you are an Indians fan, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment